As I began to read the passage,
right away the word ‘Hoatzin’ jumped out at me, as it is one I’ve never heard
of before. This is when my brain begins to work on what does this mean? How can
I find out? Perhaps It can be some sort of animal or from of prey that has to
escape from predators. And then I read further about how its builds a home in a
branch near water so I thought it can’t be that big if it can live in a tree. The
next two lines let me know that it had claws so I thought maybe its some sort
of bird, which can live in trees and survive in water. This sort of embedded
the idea in my head when I read the last line which confirmed they have wings
that have claws, so now I was thinking of some exotic weird looking bird with
finger-like claws and wings with claws as well. After completing the passage, I drew a picture
of a bird that had some sort of claws on the wings and claws with five fingers
as well. I added some plumage and feathers for fun and I then googled an actual
image of an hoatzin to compare my picture versus a real one. I was actually
really surprised to see , while not looking like the picture, I wasn’t too far
off with the feathers part and that a hoatzin was actually a really pretty
tropical bird found near swamps in areas such as the Amazon in South America.
In order to achieve a form of comprehension, there was the reader (myself) ,
the text (on the hoatzin) and the context, where I was aiming to draw a picture
so therefore I was looking for clues to help me visualize what this creature
may look like and to help me understand what it may be. Prior knowledge of
birds helped me with visualizing what a hoatzin may look like.

To piggyback off your comment, I to had an image in my head of the hoatzin as an insect from the way the text painted the picture for me in my head. It's a good thing I did that research afterwards or else I would have thought the hoatzin was an insect. This only shows me how important it is to be able strengthen your comprehension skills when reading or being told something.
ReplyDelete