Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Running Record Practice- Week 5

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozg5kq2uvcr1l4n/running%20record%201?dl=0
Above is the link to the running record I conducted on a first grade student who is supposedly average in her literacy skills. The school year has just begun so only ongoing assessments can tell us if she is up to par or  lacks proper literacy skills. We read the book:
After she finished reading, the rates were as follows:
Error Rate= 1:10
Accuracy Rate= 90%
Self-Correction Rate= 1:4.5 or 1:5

A mini-lesson on sight words would really benefit this student as she stumbled on words such as like, there, was and this can be done using flashcard games and the like. She also had trouble with the plural 's' sound such as reading 'Dot' as opposed to 'Dot's' . This can be reviewed as well. The book did feel a bit difficult for her to read but she was involved in the story and her comprehension was evident due to her comments and interests. The main part of a follow-up mini lesson would include a review of sight words, plural 's' , and also short vowel 'i' sound, as she had trouble reading words such as 'will','did',and  'kicks'.


4 comments:

  1. Judging from you observation and comments, I think you have choosen the right area to focus on. Sight words are extremely important for new readers. Being unfamiliar with sight words can cause a lot of frustration during reading. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I find it interesting that the students lack of ability to differentiate between sight words and between singular and plural nouns did not affect their comprehension. One idea that I learned from this post is that a student can have a problem in literacy that may go undetected without assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gitel- By looking at the running record/miscue analysis, the student is reading at instructional level, but on the border of frustration level. In order to assure the accuracy of the assessment, the teacher can find a passage that is at the instructional level for another assessment. What was her retelling like? Can you provide us with more details?

    Brithney- yes that's why we need assessment and data driven instruction. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the book was at instructional level and that she comprehended it , like I asked her who is Bob and she right away answered Bob is the dog and told me how he dug deep hole. She found him to be silly. However, I should note the book had very clear pictures so that probably alleviated any frustration she could have potentially encountered had she not used context clues and picture clues to decode and comprehend. Her retelling was much more accurate and I don't think i will have to lower the level of the next reading passage I will assign to her for the running record assignment. I will just have to make sure she is also focused and has patience as she at first wasn't so cooperative so that may also have added to her errors as her teacher told me she generally has a great self-correction rate.

    ReplyDelete